It saddens me that so many people act out of selfish ambitions. Yes, selfishness is part of human nature. Does that reason alone consent self-centredness to overrule humanity?
My parents and I had discussion about how banks are outsourcing their call centres to developing countries. Instantly, I stiffened up and expressed my thoughts on using our national resources to keep the economy going. It may be good for the short-term, but disastrous for the next generation. As CEOs of the banks, they earn approximately AU $16 million annually. Outsourcing their call centres will only maintain, or else increase their generated wealth.
Good for them... But what will happen to the rest of us? What about the people who are sole-earners of their families? What about those whose children are yearning for a proper education so that Generation Y will not suffer like previous generation? What about those working 10 hours a day just to get by, so that the top periphery of the social hierarchy may enjoy another red hot Porsche in a garage larger than the entire house of a middle-class citizen?
It’s easy for me to criticize others, but I’m no better. We’re no better. Why do I get excited at the thought of getting a new pair of shoes that are made in China? Why do I look longingly at a $4000 keyboard when more people are living off the streets of Melbourne? The hype of getting the next iPhone (4b or 5) seems so... selfish.
That’s the core of it. Humanity is fallible, we’re all fallible. As much as we try to rectify our past and the wrongdoings around us, we fail. It disturbs me that we are all so selfish in one way or another. It scares me to ponder whether if there is still any good in humankind.
Now I know why people lose hope in humanity. Or even the existence of God. If God is a good God, why would He allow the devil to rob us of our lives and morality? Or ‘since there is no divine authority to make ends meet, I’ll just take fate in my own hands and change the world my way’...
Don’t get me wrong. I believe that there is a God and only one way to the Truth and the Life. I believe that God didn’t bring chaos on His children, He allowed it. It’s our choice to whether we want to embrace chaos because it is the easier way.
So, all these misconducts and its effects were our fault? It sure is. Is God real? Yes. Is He a loving God? Yes. Is He Almighty? Yes.
I’ll leave you to ponder with Hillsong’s ‘Forever Reign’. Let’s see how each one of you would interpret it...
You are good,
You are good when there’s nothing good in me.

0 comments:
Post a Comment